Health & Safety and CDM15
As the construction industry changes and moves forward so does the way in which you need to manage the Health & Safety of your projects.
In 2015 the introduction of updated Construction (Design & Management) Regulations placed additional legal duties and responsibilities on Clients, Designers and Contractors which must be met in order to be legally compliant.
Many of the fundamental principles of managing Health & Safety remain unchanged. However, the roles of Client, Principal Designer and Principal Contractor carry more clearly defined legal duties and responsibilities and an increased collaborative approach to the planning, managing, monitoring and controlling of Health & Safety is encouraged.
These changes place greater emphasis on you, the client, to ensure you have a full and clear understanding of what is required of you in order to comply with the Regulations, and importantly, avoid what could be criminal prosecution. What’s more, it is vital that you not only, fully understand your responsibilities, but that you know exactly when the regulations are applicable to your project.
By definition the Regulations state that the CDM Regulations apply to all construction work that is taking place on a structure. Therefore they are applicable from the changing of a window latch through to a major construction project.
As an Evolution5 client, you will benefit from the experience and knowledge of a qualified consultant who will work with you to ensure you understand your role and the levels of responsibility which apply to your project. They will work with you to develop a pragmatic and systematic approach that is both specific to the requirements of your project and compliant with Regulations.
There are two options for you to choose from which are designed to meet your project needs and your budget.
You can choose to take advisory services only whereby we support you to discharge your duties and manage your appointed Principal Designer and Principal Contractor fulfil their duties.
Alternatively, you can appoint us to act as the Principal Designer which means we plan, manage, monitor and control all pre-construction activities on your behalf complying with regulations and to the appropriate required by your project.
If you choose advisory services only, you will receive support to:
- Ensure suitable arrangements for managing the project are in place, including making sure:
- Other duty holders are appointed as appropriate
- Sufficient time and resources are allocated to the pre-construction phase
- All relevant information will be prepared and provided by us, to other duty holders, and we will;
- Ensure the Principal Designer and Principal Contractor carry out their duties sufficiently, and;
- Suitable welfare provisions are planned and put in place for the duration of the project.
By choosing to appoint Evolution5 as your Principal Designer, you can be confident that your consultant will;
- Plan, manage, monitor and coordinate Health & Safety in the pre-construction phase of the project which comprises the following duties;
- Identifying, eliminating or controlling all foreseeable risks associated with the works; and
- Ensuring that all designers on the project carry out their duties adequately
- In addition we will prepare and provide all relevant information to other duty holders such as the Client and Principal Contractor; and
- Liaise with the Principal Contractor to assist in planning, managing, monitoring and coordination of the construction phase of the project.